My daughter absolutely loves breakfast quesadillas. If I let her, she would eat them every single day, but I usually make them once a week. You could use scrambled eggs, but I like to use fried eggs instead so there is some gooey egg yolk in the middle. For this recipe, I use Mission Whole Wheat Low-Carb Tortillas, with 4 net carbs per tortilla.
PREP 5 minutes
COOK 20 minutes
- 2 bacon slices
- 2 large eggs
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 low-carbohydrate tortillas
- 1 cup shredded
- Mexican blend cheese, divided
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
1. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon on both sides until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain and cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, and chop the bacon.
2. Turn the heat down to medium, and crack the eggs onto the hot skillet with the bacon grease. Season with pink Himalayan salt and pepper.
3. Cook the eggs for 3 to 4 minutes, until the egg whites are set. If you want the yolks to set, you can cook them longer. Transfer the cooked eggs to a plate.
4. Pour the olive oil into the hot skillet. Place the first tortilla in the pan.
5. Add ½ cup of cheese, place slices of avocado on the cheese in a circle, top with both fried eggs, the chopped bacon, and the remaining ½ cup of cheese, and cover with the second tortilla.
6. Once the cheese starts melting and the bottom of the tortilla is golden, after about 3 minutes, flip the quesadilla. Cook for about 2 minutes on the second side, until the bottom is golden.
7. Cut the quesadilla into slices with a pizza cutter or a chef’s knife and serve.
If you have Tajin, a seasoning mix, you can use that instead of pink Himalayan salt and pepper for a nice kick of chills, lime, and salt.
Per Batch Calories: 1138; Total Fat: 82g; Carbs: 53g; Net Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 35g; Protein: 54g
Per Serving Calories: 569; Total Fat: 41g; Carbs: 27g; Net Carbs: 9g; Fiber: 18g; Protein: 27g