Bacon egg cups are the perfect keto breakfast, snack, or even side dish. The crispy bacon on the outside, mixed with the creamy egg middle and spicy jalapeño, will start your day with a kick. The cream cheese mixed with bits of jalapeño pepper provides just the right amount of heat.
Makes 6 egg cups.
PREP 5 minutes
COOK 25 minutes
FOR THE BACON
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
FOR THE EGGS
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 4 large eggs
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
TO MAKE THE BACON
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. While the oven is warming up, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon slices and cook partially, about 4 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel−lined plate.
3. Coat six cups of a standard muffin tin with the butter. Place a partially cooked bacon strip in each cup to line the sides.
TO MAKE THE EGGS
1. Cut one jalapeño lengthwise, seed it, and mince it. Cut the remaining jalapeno into rings, discarding the seeds. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl beat the eggs with a hand mixer until well beaten. Add the cream cheese and diced jalapeño, season with pink Himalayan salt and pepper, and beat again to combine.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about two-thirds of the way up so they have room to rise.
4. Top each cup with some of the shredded cheese and a ring of jalapeno, and bake for 20 minutes.
5. Cool for 10 minutes, and serve hot.
If you don’t have jalapeños available, or you don’t like spicy food, you can use bell peppers or another vegetable with a little crunch, like asparagus.
Per Batch Calories: 955; Total Fat: 80g; Carbs: 7g; Net Carbs: 6g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 53g
Per Serving Calories: 159; Total Fat: 13g; Carbs: 1g; Net Carbs: 0g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 9g